Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sad Times Indeed....

The cancellation of gaming icons Dungeon Magazine and Dragon Magazine caused a bit of an uproar in the RPG community, but their demise was just the beginning. (I know they aren't officially gone, but moved to digital format. Since I refuse to subscribe to the farce that is DDI they are gone to me.) Inquest was another gaming magazine that got the axe. Now it seems that Electronic Gaming Monthly, one of my favorite video game magazines has been canceled recently and Scrye magazine will end in April.

The section of the magazine rack, small though it was, where gamers could find periodicals related to their interest has pretty much become non-existent. Sure there are a few video game magazines remaining for now, but I fear those too will soon be replaced by hunting and NASCAR magazines or another Cosmo clone. It seems that gamers and geeks will have to rely on the internet from now on.

I've expressed my disappointment over the death of print media for the past few years and though I am not a huge fan of pdf periodicals, however I do readily admit that some are quite good, it seems that's all we have left. It's a sad thing to see an industry with loyal fans die, but in these tough economic times I suppose ours is only the first of many.


On a side note I plan to have my completed review of Hollow Earth Expedition up next week. It seems that my life revolves around work, research projects and papers of late. There simply isn't enough hours in the day or days in the week to get everything done.

2 comments:

Alex Schroeder said...

Then again, I find that I can't read and use three or more magazines a month, anyway. With Kobold Quarterly and Fight On my demands are met, luckily.

Anonymous said...

It is too bad. I for one loved the Hard copies and will miss them.Online mags aren't just the same.