Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mazes & Minotaurs

I stumbled upon this game while looking up some info for my next campaign and thought I had found some lost treasure. All the information showed this game called Mazes and Minotaurs from 1972 ,very much like D&D except that it was based on Greek Mythology and not Tolkien fantasy. The site has links so that you can download the original 1972 game books as pdfs, or you can download the revised 1987 books, all for free.
I scanned the books and though they were pretty bare bones, the game did seem to be pretty good and I became even more curious about why I had never heard of it. So back to the internet I went.
You remember the Sentry hoax that Marvel pulled on us some years ago. The one where they claimed their version of Superman, Sentry, was created in the 60's and had been "lost", but it turned out to be a publicity stunt. That is what this is.
Mazes and Minotaurs was made a few years ago and apparently stemmed from an article about what if game designers had gotten their inspiration from Jason and the Argonauts instead of Lord of the Rings. The 1972 version was actually released in 2006. The revised 1987 version in 2007. Both versions are actually pretty good, though the books are pretty short running under 50 pages for the most part. It is basically a simple D&D based on Greek instead of European fantasy. There is even an ezine for the game called Minotaur Quarterly with 2 issues available for download, Fall 07 and Spring 08.
Thanks to the internet I wasn't fooled by this for long, but I still don't feel cheated. I may not have have discovered a long lost game, but I did find a pretty interesting little rpg. I think my group may be going Greek in the near future.

http://mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/

3 comments:

Jack Badelaire said...

You're in for a treat. M&M is a great game. Even if you don't use it as it's own system, it's chock-full of idea fodder for "non-traditional" D&D gaming.

I hope you enjoy, and find it as enjoyable as I did.

Olivier Legrand said...

Hello ! Thanks for the nice article. There are actually FIVE issues of the webzine available (and all for free).

Olivier Legrand said...

Ah, sorry but I forgot something. I've also recently added a FAQ page about the game, its real and imaginary origins etc.

It can be found here :

http://mazesandminotaurs.free.fr/FAQ.html