Black t-shirts are a staple of geek culture. You can almost always pick the geeks out of a crowd by the color of their shirt (go to any convention) and the logo/design on the front (almost always relating to gaming, comic books or computers). Here are a few of the multiple reasons for the Geeks Must Wear Black rule.
1. Black tends to be slimming and since geeks tend to survive on Cheetos, Pringles, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Jolt Cola and Mountain Dew (I prefer Mello Yello) we need all the help we can get.
2. Comic book characters look better on black backgrounds, mostly.
3. Black is what cool people wear and there is no one cooler than a geek. Or at least if you are wearing black no one will think your a geek, until they see Spiderman on the front of your shirt.
4. It makes us harder to see at night. So it is kind of like casting an invisibility spell.
5. Geeks are not known for their fashion sense and black goes with anything. So you are never mismatched, unless you are a complete moron, and it is easy to accessorize.
6. It shows off our pasty white skin that we earned from hours of sitting in front of computer screens, dark movie theaters, killing orc in our basement and generally avoiding the terrible UV rays emitted by the sun.
7. Black is the symbol of counter culture. Rockers wear black, beatniks wear black, goths wear black, it helps us show our individuality...by dressing the same. It give us a sense of unity, as Geeks tend to be solitary creatures, who only venture out to replenish supplies, and go to conventions.
8. The coolest superheroes & villains wear/wore black : Batman, Spiderman, Venom, Superman, Punisher, and Ghost Rider are just a few examples.
9. Black is also popular as an indicator of power.
10. Black absorbs all light in the color spectrum. Take that red!
11. Black is seen as mysterious and there is nothing more mysterious than a geek.
12. Chuck Norris wore black, plus has a black belt, and everyone knows he kicks butt.
So there you have it, just a few of the reasons why real geeks wear black.