Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Weezer: The Red Album

I am a Weezer fan. I have enjoyed every album, for the most part, that the band has ever put out and the Red Album is no different.
When I first saw the video for Pork and Beans on youtube, which is over flowing with youtube celebrities, I immediately began searching itunes for the album to download. It's been a few years since they've had a new album and it has been worth the wait.

The Red Album is possibly one of the most interesting and different Weezer albums to date, yet very reminiscent of their older albums. It starts off with some upbeat pop songs, like you would expect from this band, and evolves into some edgier, more melodic and more mature songs as the tracks progress. Halfway through I got a very real sense that the songs were part of a story, there is a definite rock opera feel.

I've only managed to listen to it in its entirity twice so far, but that sense of a story was definitely there and during the second listen I could actually visualize it. I don't know if this is what the band intended but if not it was a very fortunate mistake. Individually there are a couple of tracks that are not my favorites, and if I heard them on the radio I might take the time to change the channel, but in the context of the rest of the album they fit perfectly.
Over all this is another creative and fun group of songs put out by one of my favorite bands. It may not be for everyone, but I think Weezer fans will be able to appreciate their latest release. If you want some music that is insightful, occassionally deep, and definitely fun, then check it out.
Pork and Beans Youtube video

No comments: