Sunday, June 1, 2008

Green Lantern

Right now I am on a Green Lantern kick. Sure GL, specifically Hal, was one of my favorite comics as a kid, but somewhere between the ages of 10 and 15 I got bored with the character. I never did like John Sterwart and couldn't stand Guy until he was in the JLI. I did pick the book up when Kyle Rayner took over as the last Green Lantern and honestly I enjoyed the book a great deal and he quickly became my second favorite GL.
Time goes on and Hal comes back, as do the the other Lanterns and I was ok with that. After all the GL Corps is suppose to be the police force of the universe, a force of one isn't very effective on that scale. I wasn't exactly thrilled to have Hal back because I knew that Kyle would get bumped down to supporting character, and with the success of the Justice League animated series Stewart would get bumped up. It all came to pass as I thought. Not only did they knock Kyle down, they bumped him off planet along with Guy, and gave their spot on earth to John, blah.
I can't say that I'm happy with the decision and I still can't stand John, but since the Sinestro Corps story the GL books are some of the best superhero books put out by DC. Kyle and Guy are great in the Green Lantern Corps book and Green Lantern, starring Hal, is again one of my favorite books.
The upcoming Blackest Night story line seems like it will be phenomenal, probably outshining any of the Crisis stories that have come out these past few years, and I can't wait. Sure DC has some crappy books out right now, as do many othe publishers, but if they are smart they will capitalize on the emerald gems they have right now and turn that momentum into a top shelf GL movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you whole heartedly. Though I can't say I've read the recent going's on of GL. Do you really think they'll make a Green Lantern movie? I think they'll keep focusing on Batman and Superman. If they did make a GL movie it would be really cool. But who would you pick to pick up the ring? (Character & Actor)

Geek Gazette said...

I think they would be fools not to make a GL movie. If done properly GL would be huge!. While I would say Kyle should be the star, in reality they can't do the movie unless they use Hal.
Casting Hal would be tough... let me think on that one.