Thursday, July 31, 2008

Invincible Review 2

A while back, before the blog, I did a review of the Image comic Invincible. At the time I had never read the book and only had a handful of issues that I picked up to review, and I was not impressed. I have changed my tune drastically in the past few weeks.
I recently acquired Vol. 1 & 2 of the Invincible TPBs and I have to admit they great. Starting from the beginning enabled me to understand the character better and gave me a new respect for the books direction. Currently I am awaiting Vol. 3 & 4 and I can't wait to read every issue. I have even added the book to my pull list at my LCS, which started with issue 51. So hopefully I will have all the TPBs in the next few months and be up to date with the current story line. I am a little confused about who Kid Omni-man/Omniboy is, which will keep me tearing through the trades until I catch up. As long as the book maintains the quality I've seen in the TPBs I will reamain a fan of this book and have already begun recommending it to friends.



Youngblood:
Though I have always had a distaste for Liefield, for some reason I have been a fan of the Youngblood characters since the original issue #1. That still hold true with the new series, which has the team involved in some kind of government conspiracy involving a reality TV show, in which they are the stars. The new book is a little different then the original, but still a good read. This is by no means the best book on the comic rack, but I would recommend trying at least one issue to see if you like it.


Kick Ass:
The name says it all. This is one of my favorite books out right now. It is the story of a "real world" kid who wants to be a superhero. The only problem is that in the real world we don't have any super powers and he keeps getting the the crap beat out of him.
One of my favorite scenes is when the main character decides that he wants to travel like a real superhero, by rooftop. He gets a running start, but stops short when he realizes how far apart and how tall the building are, so he decides to go back to street level and walk. The book is dark, the art is great and the story is one of the best I have read in a long time. I can't wait for the movie.

No comments: